WCC CRAFT CITIES
A network of creative craft cities worldwide has been launched by the World Crafts Council (WCC) in the framework of the creative economy and in response to the growing awareness of the contribution of local authorities, craftspeople and communities to cultural, economic and social development.
The WCC network brings a complementary contribution to the UNESCO Creative Cities programme to foster interaction between crafts and other creative industries.
Interested cities are invited to submit their candidatures to the WCC International Secretariat with the relevant documentary evidence listed in Guidelines.
The applications will be considered by an independent panel of craft specialists before the final decision by the WCC Board. Information on the selected creative craft cities will be posted on the WCC website and the regional websites.
Applications will be accepted anytime in the year. The application must be e-mailed to WCC at email@example.com
Through this innovative and unique network, WCC intends to:
- highlight, on a global platform, the reputation and assets of a creative city/region in a:
i. specific craft discipline or raw material ;
ii. a certain article or group of articles;
iii. or for a variety of crafts
- encourage government to support and make future commitments to the development of the craft in their city/region;
- strengthen local potential for innovation and the development of creative tourism ;
- promote the exchange of know-how, experiences and best practices in diverse craft fields, at the national, regional and international level ; and
- to create new opportunities for co-operation and partnership between the designated creative craft cities.
Discover more about WCC Europe’s inaugural Craft City: Bornholm HERE ⇨
See all of the designated Craft Cities across Africa, Asia Pacific Region, Latin America and North America HERE ⇨