Deadline Extended: Apply by 4 February 2024
With the aim of promoting the talents and values of contemporary European jewellery, a new edition of the Biennial of Contemporary Glass Jewellery is being launched, and expanding this time at European level.
The Biennial aims to offer a representative sample of this sub-sector of craft and bring together in a single exhibition, young talents and established artists who work around the versatile material of glass while simultaneously promoting synergies and collaborations between artisans from different fields.
Jewellery creators who produce pieces made primarily from glass are invited to participate in the call. Submissions should be unique pieces, with a sculptural and artistic concept, capable of being used as an ornament for the human body, regardless of market trends. The jury, made up of experts from various sectors will be in charge of selecting the pieces that will be featured in the Biennial.
The selected works will be part of an exhibition that will be shown first at the MAVA – Museum of Contemporary Glass Art in Alcorcón, in Spain. Subsequently, the exhibition will be open to travel throughout Europe if the funding allows it. An online catalogue (English / Spanish) will be published with images of all the pieces, contributing toward disseminating the variety and quality of European crafts.
- European based craftmakers are invited to participate in the call.
- By ‘jewellery’ we mean all those unique pieces, with a sculptural and artistic concept, capable of being used as an ornament for the human body, regardless of market trends.
- The pieces must be made primarily of glass.
- Each participant will be able to propose up to three pieces or ensembles. Submissions can be individual pieces or a series of pieces. The selection committee will choose up to a maximum of three pieces per craftsmaker (counting the ensembles as a single work).
- Applications can be made by completing this FORM, until
January 21st, February 4th 2024.
A jury, composed of experts from various sectors (design, crafts, teaching, arts, etc.) will be in charge of selecting the pieces that will be exhibited. The jury will assess the quality, design and creativity of the artworks.
The selected artists will need to send their pieces to the MAVA – Museum of Contemporary Glass Art in Alcorcón, Avda. de los Castillos s/n, 28925 Alcorcón – Spain, between the 26th February and 8th of March 2024.
The exhibition with all the selected works will be opened at the MAVA on April 3rd 2024 at 12:00 a.m. coinciding with the European Artistic Craft Days.
Additionally, a bilingual catalogue (English/Spanish) will be published online with images of all the pieces provided by their authors and the data contained in the documentation provided.
- The participants will be responsible for shipment of the works (including packaging and insurance for the transport).
- The organisation will not be held responsible for any breakage, theft or deterioration of the pieces prior to their arrival at MAVA.
- The images that are sent will be used to edit the catalogue of the exhibition, as well as for the dissemination- in any means- of the exhibition in other venues where it can be exhibited, and must be free of copyright.
- Once the exhibition is over, presumably February 2026, the participants will have a maximum of 3 months to collect the works from MAVA. After 3 months, the destination of the pieces will be decided by the organisation.
- Participation in this call entails full acceptance of the specified conditions.
CONNECT WITH US