Call for applications for the Future Lights 2018, which is an annual competition for people in the early stages of their career in ceramics.
The aims of the competition are to
- Encourage cross-disciplinary learning and approaches by bringing together the ceramic designers, art historians, researchers, makers and artists of the future
- Support people in the early stages of a career in ceramics by exhibiting their work at high profile ceramics exhibitions across Europe
- Promote ceramics to a younger audience, though identifying potential ambassadors
The competition is run by Porzellanikon and co-organised by Staffordshire University, the Design and Craft Council of Ireland and the British Ceramics Biennial. Each year, recent graduates from across Europe are invited to apply to Porzellanikon, setting out their experience and responding to the year’s theme.
In 2018, the Future Lights theme is: “Go green – Ceramics and the Environment.”
The 2018, the Future Lights competition invites applications from:
- Early career ceramists from art, crafts and design disciplines who are actively creating items – conceptual as well as design oriented.
- Historians and art historians, museum curators and researchers who are focusing on environmental aspects: ecology, sustainability, resource-saving in both production and use.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be resident in EU or associated states. There is no age limit. However, applicants should have completed their main full-time studies within the last five years.
- Applicants should have expertise, experience or innovative ideas that respond to the theme. We are happy to receive applications from people from a range of disciplines including design, fine art, art history and materials science.
What is the prize?
6 competition winners will be invited to:
- Attend a workshop where participants collaborate across disciplines and develop new work.
- Showcase their work at high profile events across Europe and through the wider Ceramics and its Dimensions project.
In February 2019, Future Lights Ambassadors will exhibit at Ambiente, the world’s most important consumer goods trade fair, attended more than 134,000 trade visitors from over 150 countries.
What are the judges looking for?
In 2018, the Future Lights judges want to discover talented early career professionals who are exploring questions of sustainability in their work and have the ability to inspire others. Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relevant experience and expertise
- Quality of work evidenced
- Response to the theme
- Ability to be an ambassador for European ceramics
Applications will be shortlisted, with 18 finalists invited to present to a panel of judges at Kilkenny Castle with the opportunity to visit Ceramics Ireland’s International Festival at Thomastown, in September 2018.
Applications will be shortlisted, with 18 finalists invited to present to a panel of judges at Kilkenny Castle, which will be hosted by Design & Crafts Council of Ireland
Applications must be submitted by 31st March 2018. For more information and to find out how to apply HERE